Creating stories on Instagram is a great social media marketing and social media advertising strategy. If you are new to Instagram ads, stories should be a part of your targeting bucket list. Let me teach you a few Instagram Stories tricks to level up your game.
Today, there are over a billion active Instagram users worldwide. With that number, it's easy to say that Instagram is a go-to platform for many advertisers. The platform is only going to get bigger.
One of the best features that Instagram offers to social media advertisers is in the form of stories on top of the usual feed posts and direct messaging.
So what are Instagram Stories, and how do they work? What are the best tricks to get the most out of this feature?
Let's find out next.
What Are Instagram Stories?
Instagram Stories allow users to share all the precious moments of their day, not just those they want to keep on their profile. Users can share multiple photos and videos in a "slideshow format."
If you think about it, Instagram Stories are like Snapchat stories.
Here's an example of a story created by Instagram.
These Instagram Stories will disappear after 24 hours unless you archive or store them into story folders.
Users can also get more creative by decorating their stories with one or more of the following features:
- on this day
How Do Instagram Stories Work?
Instagram Stories are easy to create. Whether you are a newbie or have already created an Instagram ad before, you will quickly learn how to create stories.
In this list, you will learn how Instagram Stories work and other cool things you can do:
Here are the steps on how to share an Instagram Story:
- Step 1: Tap the camera icon on the top left corner of your screen or swipe right anywhere in your feed.
- Step 2: Tap the record button to take a photo or long-press it to shoot a video.
- Step 3: You can also tap or swipe left to Boomerang, Layout, Superzoom, or Hands-free if you want to shoot videos in different creative formats.
- Step 4: You can either save your creation to your phone or tap the Your Story icon to share it with your IG story.
The photo or video you shared on your IG story will appear on your profile at the top of the feed.
A colorful red ring appears around your profile picture, and people can tap it to see your story. Your profile picture will show up in a row at the top of your followers' feeds can tap it to view your story.
Publicly shared IG stories may also appear in the explore page, hashtags, location, or location-based stickers.
Instagram users can reply to stories with a text, emojis, or GIFs or video by tapping the reply button. They can also reply with a photo or video by tapping the camera or GIF button.
From there, users can go crazy with all their creative ideas. They can move and resize the story image or apply filters or stickers.
The reply will be sent as a direct message with the thumbnail of the original story.
Other Things You Can Do On Instagram Stories
There's a lot more you can do with Instagram Stories.
You can also add effects on your Instagram Story like doodles, text, stickers, live face
filters, and geostickers.
Want to add music to your stories, no problem! Facebook signed deals with major record labels so users can add songs to their stories.
Instagram also allows you to see who's watching your story. Swipe up on your own IG story to see who’s viewed your story.
Privacy is also not a problem with IG stories. You can make your stories private if you want to. If you have a private IG account, only your followers can see your story. You can also hide your story to a person or people.
Finally, Instagram allows users to post stories to their profile as a regular feed. Instagram Stories, by default, won't appear on a user's profile grid or in the feed. They can still choose to highlight a particular part of their story by posting it on their profile.
Instagram Stories Tricks You Need To Know
Okay, so we have reached the part where I will teach you excellent tricks so you can get the most out of your Instagram Stories. I promise these tricks are easy to follow.
Here we go.
Take Time In Editing Your Instagram Story
Get familiar with the following story editing options:
- Save - This feature allows you to save the story you are working on. If you have added any GIFs or music, this feature will automatically save as a video.
- Filter - This feature allows you to add VR filters that are available while taking the image or shooting video.
- Linking - This feature lets you link your story to a website or other social media platforms. But Instagram only allows users with higher than 10,000 followers to use this feature unless you are linking to your IGTV video.
- Accessories - This feature allows you to add extra engagement features and stickers. Just swipe up from the editor screen to access this feature.
- Drawing - This feature will enable you to write text or draw stuff using a few available brushes and erasers. You can also use the color selection tools to change the color of your text.
- Text - This feature lets you add a text by tapping anywhere on your screen.
Optimize Images For The Recommended Size
The perfect size for Instagram Stories is 1080px by 1920px.
Take note that you will have more editing options in other apps or the app that's built into your smartphone if you take the photo in the camera app. If you import the edited image into the Stories editor, you need to zoom it in a bit to avoid a border on the outside.
Always use a high enough quality image, so when you upload it and zoom in, the quality is preserved.
Create A Drop-shadow Effect To Text
To add a drop shadow effect to the text of your Instagram story, tap the Aa icon on the top right of the screen, then write your text.
Next, tap the Aa icon again and write the same text for a second time but using a different font style and color.
Now, move one text layer over the other, but put it just slightly off-center so that the bottom layer still shows.
Add Colors To Your Story
The primary color choices on Instagram Stories may not be the perfect match for your personal or company branding.
To access virtually all the colors for your Instagram story, follow these steps:
- Step 1: Tap either the pen or the Aa icon on the top right corner of your screen.
- Step 2: Tap and hold a default color to bring up more color options in the slider.
- Step 3: Swipe to choose a unique color.
Play With The Different Text Fonts And Formats
Instagram Story has five fonts you can choose from:
To create text, tap anywhere on the screen. You can create as many text boxes as you like. Tap out of a text box and tap on the screen to create another.
Create A GIF
It is essential to continually be testing new media formats on Instagram if you want to keep your audience engaged and wanting more.
What to do? Create a GIF.
Instagram has a feature called Boomerang. It allows users to create a quick, looped video, which is similar to a GIF.
Your Story Must Have A Solid Background
To create a solid background for your story, follow these steps:
- Step 1: Hit the pen icon on the top right.
- Step 2: Choose the marker or neon brush.
- Step 3: Choose a color.
- Step 4: Tap and hold the screen for a few seconds until your chosen color fills the screen.
- Step 5: You can either use the eraser tool to reveal a little bit of the photo or video.
Make A Color Fog
It's easy to make a part of a photo foggy. Just insert an emoji that has the color you want for the fog, then expand it.
As the emoji expands, it will add a color haze over a part of your photo. Also, it can be useful to insert texture and design to dull picture.
Add Accessories To Your Story
When you are done creating an Instagram Story, swipe it up on the edit screen to show more fun options:
- quiz and many more
Take Advantage Of Mentions
Tag other Instagram accounts in your Story to shout-out a brand, influencer, or customer.
GeoTag Your Story To Get More Views
To make your content appear in that location's Story feed, which helps rack up more views quickly, tag a location in your Stories.
Add Selfie Stickers
Selfie stickers let you create a small selfie that you can edit and use it later on as a story sticker.
To do this, follow these steps:
- Step 1: Tap the stickers icon (the square smiley face) at the top of the screen.
- Step 2: Choose the camera option, which is to the left of hashtag (#).
- Step 3: Take a selfie.
- Step 4: Either tap the selfie again to add a white border or leave it to keep the glowing edge.
- Step 5: Move the selfie sticker to any part of the screen.
Instagram releases selfie stickers pretty frequently, so be on the lookout.
Hide Stories From Specific Accounts
The more accounts you follow on Instagram, the more you'll be blasted by Stories.
If you want to hide Stories from certain users without unfollowing them, just press and hold on their display photo in the Stories feed. Then choose the Mute Story option from the menu that pops up.
And those are the awesome Instagram Stories tricks that you need to level up your Instagram game!
If you're planning to launch an Instagram Ad campaign, stories should be on your strategic radar.
Check out the recommended resources section below to know more about Instagram Stories. Also, don't be shy to TALK TO US if you want in-depth coaching about IG stories.
Recommended Instagram Stories Tricks Resources
Instagram Stories: How to Use It Like a Pro and Build Your Audience
Instagram Stories for Business: How to Create Engaging Stories
16 Instagram Stories Hacks That Will Blow Your Mind
So what do you think about this article? Are you ready to level up your Instagram Stories game?
Leave a comment below and let's discuss.
If you think this article is worth the SHARE
, then it will be a great honor.
Are you looking for more online advertising help? Check out our Ultimate Guide to Online Advertising for Small Businesses.
Header image courtesy of JumpStory.